This has got to be the fastest and easiest recipe for Baklava, and I promise, it tastes just as good!
Ingredients (up to 20 servings):
- 250 grams unsalted melted butter
- 300 grams of chopped walnut pieces
- 10 sheets or 375 gram packet of filo pastry
- 600 grams of white sugar
- 200 ml of water
- Fresh lemon juice squeezed from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of honey (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a medium rectangle or square cake pan (or ovenproof dish) with melted butter. Roughly chop or grind walnut pieces, depending on desired texture.
2. Lay pastry on a clean surface. Trim sheet to fit in pan and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with a handful of walnuts. Continue with remaining pastry, butter and walnuts, finishing with a layer of pastry.
3. Brush top layer of pastry with butter. Cut baklava length-ways and then crossways, or keep as squares. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown
4. . Meanwhile, place the sugar, water, honey and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until the liquid reduces by a quarter. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
5. Remove from the oven and slowly pour the cooled syrup over the pastry. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool completely and serve with Turkish coffee and a tall glass of water.