- 500 gm plain flour
- 300 ml warm full-cream milk
- 100 gm white sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 100 gm butter
- 14 gm dry yeast
- 150 gm of sultanas
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds or sesame seeds
- 100 gm icing sugar
- 2 tbsp warm water
1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Combine the yeast with the warm milk. Add to the sifted flour, together with the melted butter, sugar, egg yolks and whole egg.
3. Combine with your hands then start to knead the dough, whilst adding the lemon zest to the dough. Dough should still be quite wet so if you need to, add more milk.
4. Cover dough with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise.
5. Once dough has almost doubled in size, place on your work bench and add in sultanas.
6. Knead dough and divide into three equal portions.
7. Roll each portion into a long, thin 'sausage' and plait a typical plait/braid.
8. Optional: wrap plait around to form a wreath or circle, and pinch the ends of the plait together to join. Gently place 3 hard-boiled eggs which have been dyed for Easter throughout the dough.
9. Coat with egg white and sprinkle with sliced almonds or sesame seeds.
10. Allow dough to rise again, before placing in preheated oven.
11. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
12. Optional: once cooled, mix the icing sugar with the warm water and drizzle over the Kozinjak.